If you saw a pile of crap on the sidewalk just ahead of you, you’d avoid it, right?
So, in a world with a lot of clear pathways in the guise of good content and conversations very much worth your while, why would you spend any time with…
- Arguments about religion, politics, or other topics where there is no chance of changing anyone’s opinion?
- Talk radio designed to further polarize people?
- Snarky comments from people who want to drag you down with them?
- Content that won’t teach you anything new but that conveniently prevents you from doing the work you need to do?
- People who infuriate you for any reason whatsoever?
Don’t intentionally step in shit. It will find you eventually even when you’re not aiming for it, but you’ll want to step around it whenever you can. If not, you’ll spend a lot of time cleaning it off your shoes–more time, in fact, than it would have taken you to avoid it in the first place.